Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA586097
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 3, 2019 with possible extension
Are you an inspiring individual who can motivate others to participate and achieve?
Karratha Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a highly motivated and innovative Head of Learning Area - English to join our dedicated leadership team. The successful applicant will demonstrate commitment to supporting student achievement through a positive approach to student learning.
As Head of Learning Area – English, you will be able to deliver quality teaching, learning and assessment programs and in addition will develop and deliver the Western Australian Curriculum and Senior Secondary WACE Courses. Suitable applicants will reflect and assess the effectiveness of teaching practice, promote an environment of active and positive learning, and provide educational opportunities and activities which enable students to achieve their highest potential. With effective interpersonal skills, you will work closely with students, colleagues and the community to achieve the best educational outcomes for students. Karratha SHS is a Teacher Development School – English and your skills will involve supporting and facilitating the development of teachers across the Department of Education.
You will be able to develop your team of teachers by providing curriculum leadership and work collaboratively to ensure quality teaching is delivered to meet the needs of all students. You must demonstrate an ability to build capacity in staff using a variety of teacher development and coaching methods.
Karratha SHS has a population of approximately 1200 students and is situated on a state of the art, dynamic and revolutionary campus which was completed in 2013. Students at Karratha SHS come from all contributory primary schools as well as those from across Australia. Many families move to Karratha and surrounding townships such as Dampier, Point Samson, Roebourne and Wickham to work in the diverse mining, tourism and retail industries in the region.
The school motto “Towards Tomorrow” ensures that the school’s curriculum focuses on preparing all students for the future. The motto embraces the aim of nurturing responsible and caring individuals in order that they are fully prepared for success in a rapidly changing world.
At Karratha SHS, students, parents, staff and all other stakeholders work together to support all activities that form part of learning program at the school. Through this partnership, we share the responsibility for the growth and development of our students, striving to make our school a safe, respectful, innovative and exciting learning environment.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Karratha SHS can be found by visiting KarrathaSHS.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Scott Cumming, Deputy Principal, by telephoning 0477 747 805 or emailing Scott.Cumming@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements [optional to select specific WRR], in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for 2 work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 26 July 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.